Ebitda rose 20.8%
The keys for the first quarter of 2013 have been:
- The Gross Margin for Renewables business rose 20.1% to €719.0 million.
- Ebitda rose to €533.3 million, representing an increase of 20.8%, as a result of improved efficiency and good wind resource.
- At the end of the first quarter of 2013, the Renewables business had an installed capacity of 14,070MW, with an operating capacity of 14,009 MW, after adding, post disposals, 611 MW in the last twelve months.
- Wind production rose 16.7% to 49,877 GWH.
- Onshore wind energy: after including 401 MW of wind capacity over the last twelve months and selling 366 MW at the end of 2012, IBERDROLA has reached a total installed capacity of 13,657 MW. This is geographically broken down as follows: 5,735 MW for Spain, 5,443 MW for the United States, 1,244 MW for the United Kingdom and 1,235 for the Rest of the World.
- Offshore wind energy: IBERDROLA also leads in offshore development with more than 6,270 MW under development in the UK (76%), Germany (16%) and France (8%). Salient projects include projects at West of Duddon Sands, (North Sea, 390 MW); East Anglia (North Sea, 7.200 MW); Wikinger (Baltic Sea, 400 MW); and Saint Brieuc (Côtes D´Armor, 500 MW installed capacity), in consortium with EOLE/RES.
- Marine energy: IBERDROLA continues with the development of marine technologies; after having installed the “Pellamis” P-2 prototype in 2011, for the exploitation of wave energy in the European Marine Energy Centre (EMEC) in Orkney, the Company continues to work on the development of Hammerfest Strom´s prototype with a power 1 MW. In this context, the Sound of Island project, which envisages 10 MW of tidal capacity, continues on schedule. IBERDROLA is also completing the development of two other facilities, one tidal facility and the other one wave facility, with 95 MW and 50 MW, respectively.
- Other renewable technologies: the Renewables business has facilities with other renewable technologies in several countries amounting to 413 MW.